- Place a large pot/dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add flour and olive oil. Combine and continuously stir roux for about 15 minutes until the roux has become a bit darker than the color of peanut butter. Be careful not to burn the mixture, or you will have to start the process over again.
- Add the onions and cook them until softened. Then add the green bell pepper, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and okra. As it cooks, the okra will develop a slime (this will help thicken your gumbo). Continuously stir the vegetables as they sauté, for about 20 minutes, until they have softened and the okra slime has disappeared.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, beans, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste the gumbo and season with salt and pepper to taste. Depending on your preference, if a thinner soup-like consistency is more to your liking, you can add more vegetable stock or water to thin it out.
- Optional: Serve over brown rice and garnish with fresh parsley.
Recipe inspired by: Cilantro & Citronella
DID YOU KNOW: Black Americans are almost three times as likely to be vegan and vegetarian than other Americans. For some Black vegans, the shift to more plant-based eating is driven not only by health, but is also rooted in social justice and fighting back against food inequality that has resulted from institutional racism. BBC News, Today